Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Sesame Street Birthday Party


Here is part 2 of the Dinosaur/Sesame Street Party that my friends Rachele and Emily threw for their kids.  This part is focusing on the Sesame Street half (to see the Dinosaur part go here).  Emily asked me to do the cake for her little girl who was turning 2.  She showed me this cake for an idea, and this is what I came up with.


It was an 8 inch cake covered in sky blue fondant and decorated with white fondant clouds that I cut out freehand.  I did a Mickey head-shaped cloud that was in the back just to see if anyone noticed, but no one said anything, so I guess I hid it pretty well :)  The sign was also cut out freehand except for the letters for Addie's name which I used my Cricut for.  


I molded Grover, the presents, and the balloons out of a fondant/gumtex mixture, but did Elmo out of modeling chocolate--anytime I need red, I usually use modeling chocolate now--easy to make and so much cheaper than buying red fondant (and I don't think I could make a true red fondant myself).


I love how Emily used her Sesame Street Treasury book set to put the cake on.  What a fun touch.  She had so many fun elements to her dessert table, including little Sesame street characters and buildings.
Her Happy Birthday Adelaide banner across the table was darling and added so much to her table.


She had such a fun idea for the favors bags.  Each one had the first letter of each kid's name taped to the front, and inside she had made crayons in the shape of the child's first initial and age (for example: my oldest got a bag with an A on it for Abby, and inside there was an A and 3 crayon since she is 3 years old).



Stickers, bubbles, and playdoh helped finish off the favors, and the kids loved them.

 At the party, Emily and Rachele had set up a "build your own lunch" bar, complete with uncrustables sandwiches for the kids, chips, apple slices, crackers, and chicken salad sandwiches.  The kids loved being able to pick all the parts to their picnic lunch.


The birthday girl wasn't too keen on the idea of everyone looking at her and singing to her.  Her reaction to the birthday song was priceless.

It was such a great party--being able to celebrate both Addie and Beckham's birthdays.  I'm glad I was able to help out by making both birthday cakes.  It's not any day you get to go to a combined Dinosaur/Sesame Street party :)

5 comments:

  1. Love the cakes! Amazing. Where are you located? Do you have a shop?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the very nice compliment. I am currently in the Las Vegas area, but I will be moving to Iowa for the next 4 years. I don't have a shop but just do things from home.

      Delete
  2. Hello, my name is Susan and I have a page wwwazucarenflor.tk, where I published the Liebster blog winners. Thank you. I like your cakes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sad that Ernest didn't get his Eagle Scout Award in time for you to make his cake :( Is there anyone who was your apprentice? I was thinking of doing this for the inside. hehe

    http://savingdougssanity.blogspot.com/2010/05/how-i-made-camouflage-cake-inside-and.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! What an amazing cake! Can I ask what the balloons are made out of?

    ReplyDelete