Thursday, January 18, 2018

Chess Board Cake


This birthday cake took some good advance planning--not so much on the cake side, because it was pretty easy to make and assemble after ordering a couple of chess molds from Amazon for the chess pieces and squares on the board--but more so that I had to learn to play chess. I have never known how, but my husband grew up playing chess and loves the game. He's never been able to play against me, though, so I thought it would be fun to surprise him with a chess board cake and then play against him on the cake--interactive cakes are the best! I was visiting some family the month before with the kids while hubby was home working, and I convinced my 2 teenage nephews to sit down and teach me chess. Goodness those boys were patient with their slow aunt, and helped me through the basics of it, and let me practice on them. I even won one game against them...they may have let me, I'm not sure, but I'll take the win with a proud smile on my face!

The longest part of making this cake is probably taking them time to make all the pieces in the molds with candy melts. It took a lot of chocolate...I think it was almost 32 oz of white and 32 oz of dark chocolate. One those were all done all I had to do was bake and frost a 12" cake in some dark chocolate ganache and then put all my little squares on one by one. If you are wanting to go the extra mile, you could always bake the inside of the cake to resemble a chess board (I have one of those kinds of cake to show you coming up on my blog), but I only wanted my board to be 2" high so it looked like a real board. 

 When hubby got home from work on his birthday he was both totally surprised by his cake and that I actually knew how to play the game. He sat down at once to play me...I put up a good fight, but in the end as you can see, it was checkmate on me (I don't even know--is that the right way to say it? I still have a lot to learn). I guess it was good that the birthday boy won. We'll just pretend that I let him win, right?!
 My kids wanted in on the fun too, so we also made checkers pieces out of molds we got from Amazon and let them play a few rounds of checkers. Man they are competitive...they get that from me ;)
After several rounds of chess and checkers, we all got our just desserts, and got to eat our game. It was quite satisfying if I say so myself!

11 comments:

  1. Gorgeous! Thinking of using this for my son's grooms cake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The custom bakery boxes that are design elegant are the perfect way to showcase your lipsticks and it’s been a practical approach to throw a persuasive first impression to every client.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recently visit your site and read your blog. It is well equipped and perfect.let me tell you about my wholesale business of Custom Bakery Boxes. Designed to complement your sweet treats, we're your one-quit packaging and printing solutions. At The Rush Packaging, give Custom Bakery Boxes that, keep up the newness as well as also prevent spoilage of your mouthwatering marvels. We are giving the Best Custom Bakery Boxes packaging with free shipping in all USA.
    Custom Coffee Packaging
    Popcorn Boxes Wholesale
    Cupcake Boxes Wholesale
    Burger Boxes Wholesale

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am pleased to see your Content. The manner you describe packaging Benefits well in this Blog
    Custom Shoe Boxes

    ReplyDelete
  5. Builders South East London Construction Services have gained a strong reputation in Bromley, Sevenoaks, and as experts in the building trade, providing excellent results time and time again.Building Contractors South London

    ReplyDelete
  6. This first one, the Stiga Snow Electric 31 best 2 stage snow blower, is perfect for use around the house and drive.best 2 stage snow blower under $1000

    ReplyDelete
  7. We use years of experience to feature distinctive looks for custom bakery boxes wholesale that are sure to impress initially impression.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kyllingestykker med hvidløg, løg, tomat, ingefær og cashewnødder Mellem stærk
    Bindia.dk

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing great information about cake boxes. Visit Custom Cake Boxes

    ReplyDelete

  10. With our experts carrying decades of experience working with the food industry, we have the ability to create almost any kind of purfume packaging. We offer pizza boxes for different pizza sizes and above that, we’ve got food-graded pizza boxes as well.

    ReplyDelete