Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Relief Society Birthday Cupcake Buffet


Back in March I was asked to do a cupcake buffet for our church's Relief Society Birthday activity (I know--back in March--I am a little behind, but the good news is our new addition made it here safe and sound and we are "tickled pink" the 3rd time around--3 girls now to teach cake decorating to :)  I saw an idea on Pinterest for a balloon and streamers backdrop that I knew would be perfect for the event, and I wanted 5 different flavors of cupcakes to go along with the 5 colors of balloons.


In the end I came up with these 5 flavors for the event:
  • Pink = A Pink Lemonade cupcake with whipped cream frosting, filled with raspberry cake filling, and garnished with one raspberry.
  • Orange = An Orange Poppyseed cupcake with cream cheese frosting, filled with sweet orange curd, and garnished with an orange slice.
  • Yellow = Pina Colada cupcake with coconut flavored whipped cream, and garnished with a pineapple slice
  • Green = Mint Chocolate cupcake with mint buttercream icing, filled with mint chocolate ganache, and garnished with an Andes Mint.
  • Blue = Rootbeer Float cupcake topped with rootbeer buttercream icing, and garnished with crushed up rootbeer candy and a straw.



My friend Shersten had the task to do all the decorating, so she took the idea I gave her from Pinterest, and did an amazing job creating this beautiful backdrop for the cupcakes as well as another similar backdrop for all the dinner food that we also had.


I found these chevron liners in all the colors from The Bakers Confections on Etsy and just had to get them for the event.  They went perfectly with the chevron paper I found at Hobby Lobby for the flavor card for each type of cupcake.  They were a good quality liner too--I had no issue with the chocolate or rootbeer cupcake showing through the liners and masking the color of the chevron print. And don't the Andes Mint cupcakes look divine?!  I have to say they are my favorite (I am always partial to mint chocolate over everything).


The cupcakes were a hit at the event.  Everyone started cutting them in half and sharing with friends so they could try all the flavors.  All were thoroughly enjoyed, but the Pina Colada cupcake seemed to be the favorite flavor to most people.  


Shersten also did the decorations for the tables, having cutely wrapped presents on each one (I am having her do all my wrapping from now on--look how perfect her wrapping job is!)  Who would have guessed that underneath all the wrapping paper are boxes and boxes of her food storage--hah, putting it to good use :)



 It was a fun evening with food, games, and wonderful company.  The women in my ward are so fantastic, and I loved getting to know each of them better that evening and sharing with them a little part of who I am with the cupcake buffet.


2 comments:

  1. With summer coming up these are perfect! I would love to line them up in my bakery display cases. I am all about showing off my baking skills.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, all of those look really, really good! Especially the orange one!

    ReplyDelete