I thought that I'd try something a little bit different for my friend Tosha's birthday. Instead of cake, I made little brownie birthday cakes. They were a lot of fun to do, although I have found that working with brownies is a little more difficult than cake because they tear so much. Next time I think that I'll try making a more cake-like brownie by adding in that extra egg the recipe says to do for that particular consistency. It might be easier to work with. We'll see.
Wednesday, May 6, 2009
Here is a fun cake that I made for Cinco de Mayo. It is a recipe that I got while serving as a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Laredo, Texas from Lupita Santoyo. Lupita would make this for us all the time. Thank you Lupita for the wonderful memories and the yummy cake. Here is the recipe:
1 can sweetened and condensed milk
1 can evaporated milk
1 box cake mix with the ingredients the box calls for (pick whatever flavor you like; my favorite is strawberry, but the one in the picture is lemon)
- Combine all the ingredients for the flan. Put this in a well-greased bundt pan first.
- Prepare the cake by mixing all the ingredients together and pour this carefully in to the bundt pan over the flan mixture.
- Bake for 45 minutes at 350F
- Clean out your ev. mild and sw. and cond. milk cans and fill 3/4 of the way with water. Place these on either side of your cake while it is cooking (keeps the cake very moist).
- Place pan on a cooling rack to cool.
- Carefully flip cake onto a serving place after at least 10 minutes of cooling.